2.8.17

Weekend with finally ripe figs


I may have mentioned few times how I have been waiting the fig season to start and how much I love fig jam. Well, I think I will continue only loving figs in other forms than fresh from a tree. It seems, that I am actually allergic to them. It is not that surprising, since I am allergic to many other fruits, vegetables, and berries, but it still was a disappointment. It didn't look like a fruit I would be allergic to. Nevertheless, figs tasted very good and they were totally worth of little throat swelling.

On Saturday, I finally managed to find some shopping mode when my colleague took me shopping to one of the bigger malls in Zagreb, the Arena Centar. I have visited there once before, but like my other attempts with shopping earlier, I ended up empty handed. I can't really blame M, who was nice enough to accompany me during those shopping times, but he made me too quilty (I am not heartless enough to enjoy while my poor man is sitting and waiting for me) to enjoy shopping and I lost my inspiration very quickly. Therefore, proper shopping partner made huge difference, and oh boy, I made some successful purchases. 




Since sales are now going wild in majority of the stores, I was happy I managed to find some discounted items. I ended up buying awesome hot pink pair of high heels, black pair of culottes, casual dress, two t-shirts, and a sweater. Since I don't really follow fashion, I don't care if culottes are out by the time I am able to wear them. At the moment forecast tells it will be up to +40 C for a week and I probably have to wait some time before giving my black beauties chance to shine. Also, I have to only admire the shoes for some time after I injured my knee a little at the gym.

On Sunday, we finally decided to stop by at the famous Dolac market early in the morning. It is well known farmers' market, which is conveniently located right next to the Ban Jelačić Square. The market has offered the main trading place for citizens and farmers from surrounding villages since 1926 where handicrafts, home-made food, and fresh fruit and vegetables change the owner. Underneath the open market is an indoor area, where local butchers, fishmongers, and bakers sell their goods. We didn't leave empty handed and after roaming through the market we found in our bags box of ripe figs, fresh bread and eggs. If you are looking for great bargain, you have to look carefully. Not all of the products are cheaper than in local Konzum, but at least you will support small producers. And you will see how your purchaced goods are weighed with old-fashioned scales. 




After the market, I decided to brag about my recent findings in a city after two of my colleagues were showing me around the city. I walked M through the Grič tunnel, which was built during the World War II to give shelter. Later in the 90’ tunnel hosted raves and after renovation in 2016 it was opened as a tourist attraction and for pedestrians to cross from one part of the city center to the other. Tunnel length is 350 meters and entrances are not so visible so for those times I walked through it there was only few other pedestrians there. Best part of this little attraction is that it is perfect spot to cool down during hot days as it is certainly cooler than outside.

So here is few new places worth to visit in Zagreb and we keep our ears and eyes open to share more ideas ^_^


No comments:

Post a Comment