29.8.17

Confessions of a Sugar Addict


Chocolate, ice-cream, muffins, kremowka, chocolate, chocolate and chocolate… I have been addicted to sugar for years and occasionally I have gotten it under control, just to break my inner “sugar mouse” on loose sooner or later. My philosophy is to enjoy life, but keep it in balance. After I moved to Zagreb, I basically lost it with sugar. It is just way too easy to treat yourself in a city where there are so many new things. Not only I am a stress eater, but also I have found it hard to eat healthy. Instead of having healthy snacks between meals, it has been easiest to have an ice cream or piece of cake from nearby bakery.

After arriving to Zagreb we joined a gym together with M. We go to the gym up to four times a week, but results have not been very motivating. I am as tired as before and also instead of losing those few extra layers of adipocytes on my love handles, I am exactly in same shape as I was two months ago. Without gym I suppose the situation would be now disastrous. Therefore, it was about the time to do something about it and concentrate on diet. Easiest way for me to feel physically better (less tired) is to cut out sugar, but mentally it is the hardest.

As it is well documented and thoroughly researched that sugar induces neurochemical addiction, it really feels like I reached that stage. I seriously get withdrawal symptoms every time I decide to cut back sugar consumption. If you don’t make your food yourself, it is very likely that food contains sugar. It is added everywhere. Someone might ask why I am so hard on myself and don’t do it slowly, but this never works for me. I have never understood people who can buy half a kilo of chocolate and eat one or two piece of it. I eat it all. And I do not even feel guilty about it. It is all or nothing.

Knowing the fact that sugar has taken a bit too big part of my diet, we decided to try sugar free month challenge. Not only it means giving up on my favorite noms, but also more cooking myself to avoid hidden sugar consumption. I have done this few times before and it has always helped for some time. First week, is the worst, and then I start seeing positive effects. I am really looking forward to reach that stage because now we’ve been two days into the challenge and I could eat just raw sugar out of the bag. Yesterday, I had to give my chocolate muesli bars I bought earlier to my colleague because I swear, they were screaming my name before lunch break.

It has been now one week and there is still many weeks ahead. The struggle is real.

No comments:

Post a Comment