18.7.17

How it is to live in Croatia?



I moved to Zagreb in the end of May, after M, who already landed in the beginning of April. I didn’t want to move here without having a job and considering Croatia’s unemployment rate (especially among young adults) it wasn’t very promising to find one. It turned out that finding a job here is easier using word of a mouth tactics instead of conventional ways such as, job fairs, LinkedIn etc. We used our connections in Zagreb to the fullest and that was how I found a work place. After few quiet weeks I was demotivated and sure I’ll never manage to get a job in Zagreb but suddenly, an opportunity came from M's former co-worker’s husband’s friend :D. I honestly wasn’t thrilled when I realized I had to move again within two months to a new country. Moreover, we were already quite sure that M is more likely to move to Warsaw than me to Zagreb. But here we are and still thinking about how do we like it here.

So how it is to live here in Croatia? We both agree that we would move back to Poland or Finland in a heartbeat if we were given a chance. However, there is a lot of good things in here.

Reasons why we like living in Croatia:

We go out more often

Warm weather and idyllic little vinotekas and restauracjas are tempting to pop in for one glass of wine or beer. These places can’t be compared to those sad pubs nearby our apartment in Helsinki, but actually very homey places. On top of that, there is dozens of them within a kilometer, where locals spend evening with their families and friends after work. In Helsinki, we rarely went out with M, due to the expensive prices and the lack of comfortable places in the immediate surroundings.

Local wines

At cheapest, a small glass of wine is already loosened by one euro or at most two, and the wines are wonderful!! Especially the white wines of Istria region, which are so far my favorites. Although, keep in mind that I am not much of an expert and basically most of the white wines will make me satisfied.

Ideal location for weekend trips

The Adriatic Sea is only two hour away. Slovenia half an hour. Italy and Austria three hours. These are only few examples. Moreover, you can quickly get to Hungary and Serbia. Other Balkan countries are a bit further but also could be considered or a weekend trip. So, location is just perfect for such travels ^_^

Fresh fruits and veggies

Omg, I am still amazed how many things people grow in their backyards, which I was only able to buy for a big price in Finland. I just wish I wasn’t allergic to so many fruits and berries. M picks cherries and plums straight from the trees and I am feasting with succulent zucchinis, eggplants, melons, and sweet tomatoes. Time after time, I am astonished when I walk down the streets and see that people grow pears, peaches, and even kiwis in their yards! I can’t wait for the fig season, since I am absolutely in love with fig jam.

Weather

Okay, at the same time, let this be a minus. It is, of course, wonderful to be warm and my friends, who are currently enjoying the "summer" in Finland, might not appreciate my complaining. But here is still too hot during the summer. At its worst, so far it has been up to 37 C degrees. Hot air which radiates from the streets and there is no escape. The heat here in the city is something very different than in Asia, where the humidity is killing the sharpest discomfort and there you are able to escape to the beach to cool off. Local Croatians also disappear to the coast from Zagreb and the city is mostly inhabited by tourists during the summer. I don’t want to complain too much, because I have always been voting for warmer countries than Finland. I just miss that feeling when you open the window in the evening and breathe in cool air into your lungs.

There were top 5 reasons to live here. Next, I will of course list the reasons, which are driving us away from here. Living here is a bit like being on a continual vacation, but we are working and trying to live as we lived in Finland. We will see how long we will stay here!

No comments:

Post a Comment