6.10.17

Love it or hate it?




Last week, I spotted a funny article my friend shared on Facebook. The article was about culture differences in Finland and Sweden, at least what comes to how people react during conversations. For Finns, a conversation of group of Swedish people might sound pretentiously excited and polite. Things are not "good", "great" or "ok" (with monotonic tone), but they are "marvelous!" and "splendid!" (or "spännande!" in Swedish). This is quite stereotypical impression about Americans too, often even right on spot.

After being here in Croatia for four months now, I simultaneously admire and to be honest, I am a bit scared of the Croatian honesty. Here things can be "awesome" or "super" but it can be also "I fucking hate it" or "this is shit". Between these too options I have started to think are we Finnish people a bit odorless and tasteless nation? We do have opinions, but we are usually don't express them too heavily. If we hate something, we usually soften the message a little bit for example saying "it's okay, but I usually prefer xx" and very rarely you can see Finnish colleague bursting out of excitement "oh that is so loooovely!".

Finnish people are often viewed as emotionless, like Kimi Räikkönen. Things are OK, but could be better. If someone is greeting us "Hi, how are you?" you might find yourself listening general feelings of life instead of quick "Oh amazing, how are you?". We have something to learn from Swedish people, because it does make you feel that someone is listening to you more carefully and that you are more respected when what you are telling, is received with a bit more excitement. I also appreciate the Croatian way, if you have an opinion, you should say it. Sometimes I just wish the truth to be a bit more sugarcoated.

Croatian honesty doesn't end on the reactions during conversations, but also applies to a topic. I have been told about difficulties getting pregnant while sitting at the hairdresser and I also know if someone is on her period at work. My food choices has been criticized (this has been mutual though and partially a joke) and I have probably heard more compliments in my life.I love the honesty and I am happy that some things aren't a taboo.

For Finnish people giving compliments and receiving them seems to be sometimes completely alien. Why it is so difficult to say that your friend or even a bit more distant colleague looks great? Nice comments are often hidden in a joke, like the person behind the comment is trying to save itself from possible shame. Only here I have understood that I actually have friends who have never really given compliments to me and it has been normal. I, of course, have friends who are complimenting and it has been completely natural, but I would say it is less common.

I do not need everyday praise, but it is well known how little nice words can save the day and make someone feel much better. And mutually, I have tried myself to pay more attention and give compliments to my friends (and M of course) as often as possible. Next level would be to be more comfortable when receiving positive comments and loose my Finnish "oh stop iiiiiit. It's just some old crap I am wearing" - attitude.

Pictures are slightly related, as I can assure you that Siro had an opinion about our curious neighbor cat. It wasn't love.

No comments:

Post a Comment